Tuesday, May 29, 2007

An internship story

Crew 11's Johan Gustafsson tells us about his August 2006 - March 2007 internship placement experience:

I just got back from my 7 month internship at Big Spaceship LLC. in New York City. At Big Spaceship I worked mostly with animations for broadcast/web, and realized that motion graphics was the thing that really got to me. The biggest project I've ever worked on, was creating an animated theme for New Years Eve at Times Square. I was also involved in several major projects such as: Ghost Rider, Hungrysuitcase.com, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts TV-spots and Grindhouse.

Case Studies, as seen in reel below:
Target - New Years Eve theme
Creating the main animations for the celebration of New Years Eve at Times Square, NYC. This project had a timespan of 3 weeks.
The six different themes Target wanted us to create were: Cheer, Dance, Peace, Play, Hope and Celebrate.
We animated every theme separate for three different billboards. Reuters, Nasdaq and Discover.

This was one of Big Spaceship's broadcast divsions first jobs. For me, as an intern, it felt great to be a part of something huge like this.
See a video of the result here!

Hungrysuitcase.com - Royal Caribbean
Hungrysuitcase.com is a site made for the travel agency Royal Caribbean. Everything is based on a talking suitcase named Sammy. He's in lead of the entire show, telling you where you should travel, by letting you pack your own suitcase full of interesting stuff. Thereby, generating wether you should go to Alaska, The Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii or Europe. This was a huge project that took 4 months, and almost everybody at Big Spaceship pitched in.



At Big Spaceship I was treated like an employee and was handed real client work from day one. When you're given that kind of responsibility, it feels like you landed in the right place, you hit the spot, you're home.
I'm really happy with my internship, I came to a great place, and I've learnt a lot.
The Big Spaceship crew did a really good job making me feel like a part of the team, a valuable member. Big up to the crew!

The next step for me is to keep evolving within the fields of Motion Graphics. This is the fastest growing extension of computer graphics, and it gets bigger by the hour.


Best of luck to you Johan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment